A driving instructor is a professional who teaches people how to operate specific kinds of motor vehicles. While many offer classes for first-time drivers who want to learn how to drive cars and trucks, others may prepare individuals for licensure exams for driving non-traditional vehicles, such as heavy trucks, buses, or motorcycles. To qualify for NTSA Driving Instructor License the instructors must cover a wide range of subjects, including traffic laws, safety protocols, and vehicle maintenance.
The courses they offer typically consist of a combination of classroom-based study, which includes textbook readings, lectures, and videos, as well as hands-on training behind the wheel.
It is important to note that the required number of hours in the classroom and behind the wheel varies by state, so the exact course content varies based on location.
Apply for an Online NTSA Driving Instructor License
Step 1: Open an NTSA Account
- To be able to apply for a Driving Instructor license, using a browser, open the NTSA web portal using this NTSA Citizens Self-Service Portal.
- Applicants visiting the NTSA portal for the first time will be required to register on TIMS; clicking on the “Register” link; will direct the applicant to the e-Register an Account page. It is from this page that Individuals, Dealers, Agents, Financial Institutions, Companies, and Driving schools register on the platform.
- Input one detail and follow the process to complete registration.
- Applicants applying as individual Kenyan citizens will be prompted to input their ID Serial Number. Be careful not to input your ID Number as what is required is the Serial Number. Please note: An applicant who has replaced their ID within the last two years, will have to use their old ID card’s serial number. (In case the system rejects any of your details you are advised to visit NTSA offices)
- Add your KRA PIN Number. Add your Mother’s Maiden Name. Add your Occupation and Phone Number or email address.
- Applicants applying as an alien will be required to type in their Alien ID serial number and then type in their passport date of issue, their KRA PIN, and other mandatory fields before clicking on the “Submit” button to proceed to the next step.
- Applicants applying as a company will be required to type in the company’s valid certificate of incorporation, company KRA PIN, and the KRA PIN of one of the directors before clicking on the “Submit” button to proceed to the next step.
- Request a verification code by clicking on the “Verify Mobile/email address” button. Type in the code you receive on your phone or email address in the verification tab to complete the verification process.
- Confirm all details are okay and click on the “Submit” button to complete the registration.
- The applicant will receive their username and password to their phone via SMS and also on email.
- You are now registered on the TIMS platform.
Step 2: Log into the NTSA account
- Upon successful registering with the TIMS Platform, Open the NTSA web portal using this NTSA Citizens Self-Service Portal.
- Click on the Login Method to choose whether to log in using Username, ID No., or Alien ID No. or Certificate of Incorporation.
- Type in the Username/ID No. and Password.
- Click on the “Get Code” button. A Security code will be sent to your mobile phone. Type in the Security Code and click on the Sign In button to log in to your account.
Step 3: Make the Application for a Driving Instructor License.
- Once log in click on the “Driving license” Option on the menu bar and select “Apply for Driving Instructor License ” on the drop-down menu.
- This will prompt the Driving Instructor License application form to be displayed, fill all the mandatory fields accurately, upload a copy of a scanned copy of all supporting documentation as listed on the site, and confirm those fields that are already pre-filled.
- upon completing filling out the application form, click on the “Next button “ to proceed to the payment page.
Step 4: Make payment.
- The license fee and the convenience charges will be displayed and the applicant will be required to proceed will the payment process.
- Choose the preferred payment method convenient for you. Payment can either be made using a different payment platform mode i.e through online Mobile banking (Mpesa) or bank.
- Once you have made the payment, follow the provided instructions and complete the payment. Make sure to print out the payment invoice.
- Once you complete the process click on “Submit” and the application will be forwarded to NTSA for processing.
- One should wait for approval online and an alert will be sent via SMS once the driving instructor license is ready for collection.
Step 5: Visit the NTSA Office and collect the Driving Instructor’s License
- Upon receiving the notification, visit the NTSA offices as mentioned in the notification message with your invoice printout and ID card. Here, NTSA officials will verify the documents and the applicants will be issued the Driving instructor License.
Step 6: How to view your application status
- Using a browser, open the NTSA web portal using this NTSA Citizens Self-Service Portal.
- Log in by filling in identification details and password or create a new NTSA TIMS account if you are a new user
- After a successful login, navigate to the dashboard and click the “Driving License” option on the menu bar.
- This will prompt all applications submitted to be displayed, you will be able to view the status of your recently applied documents.
Cost Of Driving Instructor Course In Kenya
The cost of a driving instructor course in Kenya can vary depending on the institution that offers the program. Generally, the cost ranges from Ksh 20,000 to Ksh 50,000 ($185 to $460) for the entire course.
It is important to note that some institutions may also charge additional fees for materials, practical driving sessions, and exams. Therefore, it is essential to research and compares the costs and services offered by different institutions before enrolling in a course.
Additionally, it is also advisable to check if there are any scholarships, grants, or financial assistance programs available to help offset the cost of the course. Some institutions may offer these options, so it’s always a good idea to ask about them when making inquiries about the course.