The moment you decide to purchase a car in Kenya, you have to ensure that you transfer a vehicle’s ownership to your name as soon as possible.
This is because you might get stranded if you need to resale the vehicle or use it for a bank loan.
Many people are always confused about the process of transferring vehicle ownership from the seller to the buyer. This is because most people are not well informed about the process.
Below are what you will require to transfer the vehicle’s ownership.
1. TIMS account which is created at the NTSA portal for free.
2. The original logbook of the vehicle.
3. Transfer fees.
How to transfer the logbook.
1. Log in to the New TIMs portal if you have already created an account. If you do not have an account ensure that you create one first.
2. Navigate to the vehicle registration section and click apply for transfer of ownership.
3. Key in the vehicle registration and proceed to upload a scanned copy of the logbook.
4. Proceed to key in the recipient’s details and confirm the verification code.
5. Afterwards, the recipient will have to log into their portal to accept the request.
Once submitted, the logbook will be ready in about seven days. When collecting the new logbook, the current owner will need to go with the previous logbook.